Saturday morning chubbiness - classic waffles by Dona Benta.

6/05/2012








I say: there are some Saturday mornings that simply have not been made for one to feel like being slim or healthy. Period.
I had already worked a lot in the past week, I had already swam a lot too, & I woke up craving for pancakes. Ok.
I remembered the banana waffles, but the were no bananas.
So I opened up Dona Benta's book again, and after browsing a bit, I decided to go for the said classic waffles. You see, I could not have made a better choice.
To stick with my habits, I adapted the recipe quite a bit. So I will write the way I did it first, and in the end of the post I'll write you the book's version.

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup filtered water, lukewarm
1 egg yolk
1 egg white, beaten to peaks
(Cup measure: 240ml)

I sifted together the flour/ sugar/ baking powder/ salt in a bowl. Aside, I mixed the butter, water and yolk.
I beat the egg white into soft peaks using a fouet (always remember you should use a ceramic or glass bowl for that, and if the bowl or fouet contains traces of grease or other ingredient, the egg white will not form the peaks).
I prepared the batter adding the liquid mixture to the dry one, stirring to incorporate. It will be kind of lumpy, that's supposed to be like that. The book says that if you over-stirr the batter, the waffles come out stiff.




Next I folded in the egg white, carefully.
I heated one teaspoon butter in a nonstick small frying pan. When it was very hot, I poured in enough batter to cover the pan's bottom. I repeated that process (except I didn't add any more butter to the pan) until I went through all the batter - which yielded me 3 crepes (if I had the proper mold they would be waffles. Since I don't, the thing changes it's name).
They were the extreme of fluffiness and deliciousness. 
I topped the stacked crepes with walnuts/ almonds/ Brazil nuts/ sesame and chia seeds, and drizzled honey on top.
You could also serve with honey alone, or jam, or nutella, create whatever you want.
If you cannot eat dairy products, this recipe can easily be adapted substituting butter for another fat product, such as coconut oil.
In my case, the 3 crepes fed one person. haha
But I think they would work for two not so hungry people.

Below, the original recipe:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites beaten into soft peaks
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Prepare as described above.
As I have mentioned before in the banana waffles post, this book has the problem of not specifying how much does a recipe yield. I would say this original recipe, with 3 eggs, would serve 3 or 4 people.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment