Julienne pickles.

4/10/2012







This recipe come straight from Germany - to be more specific, from Delicious Days.
Last weekend we were going to have a picnic, and this pickled vegetables seem to go really nice in a sandwich.
The picnic didn't actually happen, but the sandwiches did (eve though I took a picture of the pickles served with another salad and some cheese). They were great.
I cut
1 large beet
1 large radish
2 real small carrots and
3 small celery stalks 
in the way I show in the photos below (this cut is known as Julienne): I cut off one side of the vegetable to make it flat, so I can lay it nicely on the cutting board. From this point, I cut the thinnest slices I can, and the slices in strips - equally thin. If you own a mandoline, you could save up a bit of time and patience. But I think cutting the vegetables with a knife is well worth it, and is not as annoying as it may seem.



So I put all of the vegetable strips in a medium pan along with
175ml rice vinegar
175ml water
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2cm fresh ginger root cut in slices.

I turned on medium heat, and lowered the temperature to minimum when the mixture came to boil.


I cooked the vegetables in this low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
Then I transfered them to a pickle jar using a fork (a tweezer would have helped a lot in here), and poured the brine over, slowly, since I didn't sterilize my jar (I just washed it as usual, because I know we will consume this soon).
I lidded the jar after filling it with the vegetables and brine and waited for it to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator. 
Before eating the pickles you should let it stand in the fridge for at least 24 hours.

0 comentários:

Post a Comment